WAF’s Five for Friday – The Facebook Edition
You never know what you’ll find on Facebook, and although we were holdouts for a long time, we’ve found quite a few fab finds through the web’s #1 social networking site. Here are five of our faves, and you don’t even have to be on Facebook to enjoy them, you can check them all out by visiting their websites.
1. Dove Self Esteem Fund – You may have seen the commercials on TV, but fanning them on Facebook let’s you see what other women are saying about raising their daughters in a society that often marginalizes them. The fund creates programs to help girls build positive self-esteem and a healthy body image. Their goal is to reach 5 million girls globally by 2010. Fan them here, and learn more about the fund on their website. (Image: Dove Girls – Campaign for Real Beauty
2. Revolution of Real Women – is a global movement advocating the empowerment of females in reclaiming their freedom of individuality, self-esteem and unique beauty. Why do we love RORW? This was a recent Facebook status “Skinny isn’t out. Curves aren’t in. One type of body isn’t more REAL than another. The ‘in’ body is the one YOU were born with.” Who can argue with that? You can follow RORW on Facebook or check out images of real women on Flickr.
3. Single Choice: Many Lives – We featured this documentary on WAF this week. It follows 38 year old filmmaker Anne Catherine Hundhausen as she documents women who’ve gone the invitro route, while she contemplates having the procedure herself. Fan Single Choice: Many Lives on Facebook, and check out the website here.
4. Beauty In the Eyes of the Beheld – This award winning documentary explores the blessings and curses of being beautiful from the point of view of women considered “beautiful.” The film follows eight women labeled as beautiful – two pageant winners, an exotic dancer, a former pop musician, a college student, an assistant paralegal, a physician, and an entrepreneur – and shares their stories of how concepts and realities of physical beauty have molded their lives for both better and worse. Check out the Facebook page here.
5. Wisebread – is a personal finance and frugal living forum providing tips on how to live large on a small budget. When you fan them on Facebook, you’ll get great tips on reducing spending, going green at the office and their Best Deals Daily Roundup that’ll turn you on to great online deals and freebies. Fan Wisebread on Facebook, or visit them at Wisebread.com.