Five for Friday: Fashion Forward or Faux Pas?
The 80’s were big – really big. Big jewelry, big hair, big shoulder pads. Here’s a look at five styles that were all the rage in the 80’s.
1. Tshirts with Blazers and loafers without socks – Thanks to Miami Vice detectives Sonny Crockett and Rico Tubbs, high school boys in the 80’s felt comfortable rocking the Thsirt with blazer, no socks look in the latter part of the decade. Miami Vice changed the way people watched TV and ushered in an era where television began to appeal to a younger, more vibrant audience.
2. Leg Warmers – Thanks to movies like Fame and Flashdance, and Jane Fonda’s workout videos legwarmers became staples in the 80’s and were worn with leggings, jeans or tights.
3. Shoulder Pads – Alexis and Krystal rocked them almost every week on Dynasty, but huge shoulder pads weren’t relegated to prime time divas. Unfortunately I’ve unearthed several pictures of my 16 year old self wearing shoulder pads that could rival those of a linebacker.
4. Jheri Curls – If there was ever a trend to look back and ask “why?!?” this one was it – and I know of what I speak. I rocked a head of massive curls for a good part of the decade. That’s one picture you won’t be seeing on Facebook.
5. Off the shoulder sweats – Not only did Flashdance bring us legwarmers, it also brought us Jennifer Beals sporting an oversized, off-the-shoulder sweatshirt. Not surprisingly that fad seems to be making a comeback.