Five for Friday: The Breast Cancer Awareness Edition & Colonial Candle Giveaway
October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and as women in our 40s that has significant meaning for us in particular. The most significant risk factors for breast cancer are gender (being a woman) and age (growing older). But it’s not all bad news. Over the past few decades breast cancer cure rates and treatment options have gained strides and there’s an ever increasing network of support and resources for the women, and men, affected by breast cancer. Here are five helpful websites and organizations that support prevention and finding a cure:
1. NBCAM – National Breast Cancer Awareness Month – The National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (NBCAM) is a collaboration of national public service organizations, professional medical associations, and government agencies working together to promote breast cancer awareness, share information on the disease, and provide greater access to services.
2. Prevent Cancer Foundation – Prevent Cancer Foundation strives to reduce cancer mortality rates by focusing individual behaviors, public policy and discussion, and research on prevention and early detection.
3. Men Against Breast Cancer – Men Against Breast Cancer educates and empowers men to be effective caregivers to those impacted by cancer.
4. The American Cancer Society – Comprehensive breast cancer pages on The American Cancer Society site offer information on understanding pathology reports, signs, symptoms and mammogram reminders.
5. Avon Foundation: Breast Cancer Crusade – Since 1992, the Avon Breast Cancer Crusade has worked to help prevent, treat and ultimately eradicate breast cancer. With more than $780 million raised and donated to breast cancer programs around the world through 2012, Avon is the leading corporate supporter of the cause globally. This year Colonial Candle is teaming with the Avon Foundation to support research to find a cure. 10% of the proceeds from sales of Colonial Candle’s Pretty in Pink candles will be donated to the Avon Foundation. Pretty in Pink is a 16 oz. 3-wick oval jar candle. The fragrance is a soft floral blend of gardenia and jasmine topped with fresh greens.The candles retail for $25 and are available online.
To help spread the word about available breast cancer awareness resources and about Colonial Candle’s Pretty in Pink promotion, Women at Forty is giving away two of these beautiful candles. To enter the drawing, simply hit like on the Facebook , Twitter or any of the share buttons below or repost directly from our Facebook page. Only one candle per household/family.
Edit: Please leave your first name & last initial in the comment section at the bottom of the post so I can properly track your entry. The FB like button isn’t including the proper info (but please, keep liking too) – Thanks!
Thanks for reading and sharing. Let’s keep working towards prevention and finding a cure!