Whether a) You need some “me time” b) You need to recapture your creativity c) Are on a tight budget, or d) All the above, today’s edition might be what you need. Mani/Pedis are great for a little pampering, but we also need to make time for the pampering of our creativity, mind and spirit.
The Artist’s Way calls this time an Artist’s Date, but you don’t have to be the next J.K. Rowling or Picasso to find these excursions helpful. All they involve is spending an hour away from the noise and bustle of every day life to focus on just about anything else. There’s nothing to buy and no agenda to follow. It’s just you, your thoughts and an hour of exploring something new. To get you started, here are five suggestions for your own artist’s date. A few caveats – turn your cell phone off, leave your wallet at home, make the artist’s date with you, and only you, and try to do it at least once a month.
1. Empty Church – Have you ever been inside a beautiful Catholic Church? Alone? Believer or not, the architecture alone is enough to get your mind off your problems for a while. Many church doors remain unlocked during weekdays. The next time you drive by one in between errands, run inside and sit for a while.
Continue reading WAF’s Five for Friday: The “Artist’s Date” Edition
You know how marketers jazz everything up? “Used cars” become “Previously Owned Vehicles”, free tap water gets boiled and becomes “purified” water, and Hollywood turns television repeats into “Encore Presentations”? Well welcome to Hollywood. Today’s Five for Friday is a mashup of a few of my favorite Fives – an “Encore Presentation” if you will…
1. From the Do You Edition – Personalize your pop! Personalized soda bottles are a great treat for your 40th birthday party. My Jones lets you choose from flavors like berry lemonade, green apple and vanilla bean, and then adds text and images of your choosing. A 3-pack sampler kit starts at just $3.99.
2. From The Facebook Edition – Revolution of Real Women – is a global movement advocating the empowerment of females in reclaiming their freedom of individuality, self-esteem and unique beauty. Why do we love RORW? This was a recent Facebook status “Skinny isn’t out. Curves aren’t in. One type of body isn’t more REAL than another. The ‘in’ body is the one YOU were born with.” Who can argue with that? You can follow RORW on Facebook or check out images of real women on Flickr. Update: They’ve recently re-launched their website. Check it out here.
Continue reading WAF’s Five for Friday- The “Encore Presentation”
This week’s Five for Friday – a hodgepodge of stuff I like. I think you’ll like them too…
1. See Jane Work – Even if you hate your job, or especially if you do, your office work space should be your own little oasis. See Jane Work offers cute, stylish office supplies that are bound to brighten up even the worst Mondays. They’ve got calendars, desk accessories and even an eco-friendly section. Speaking of Jane… (Photo: See Jane Work Desk of The Month)
2. Be Jane – A community for all women, beginners to industry professionals, who are interested in doing their own home-improvement stuff. Be Jane focuses on home improvement from a woman’s perspective, showing them the “how-to” that gets the project done and the “how-it-will” enhance your life.
Continue reading WAF’s Five for Friday – The “See Jane work, do it herself, buy ecofriendly pink ribbon stuff and more” Edition
On Monday Dr. Oz gave us one possible answer for why it’s so hard to maintain/lose weight after 40. “It’s your metabolism stupid!” Those weren’t his exact words, but they might as well have been. During the show Dr. Oz shared a few inexpensive metabolism boosters and a couple of neat must-haves. I’ve added a couple of my own to come up with this week’s Five for Friday…
1. Remember those plank exercises for your core? Try watching a night of TV balancing on The Gaiam Balance Ball Chair. The chair provides toning and shaping for your core while helping to alleviate the aching back and legs that comes from sitting at a desk all day. It’s designed for people between 5-feet and 5-feet 11-inches tall, weighs 13 pounds and has a 300lb weight capacity. The Balance Ball Chair retails for around $80. Happy balancing!
2. Oolong Tea – This traditional Chinese tea has been shown to aid the body in burning fat. Oolong should be prepared with 180 to 190 °F (82 to 88 °C) water (not boiling) and steeped 3–4 minutes. Premium quality Oolong can be brewed repeatedly and, unlike other teas, improves with reuse.
Continue reading WAF’s Five for Friday – The “Metabolism Madness Cure” Edition
This month Women at Forty celebrated its first birthday, so I thought it would be fitting to do a special birthday edition of Five for Friday. And since “Free” is my favorite four-letter word, here are five freebies to have fun with on your birthday…
1. Cold Stone Creamery – After a hot 40th birthday bash, cool down with a free birthday treat from Cold Stone Creamery. Register for their Birthday Club and they’ll email a coupon redeemable at your favorite Cold Stone location.
2. Caribou Coffee – Join the Caribou Coffee club and a few days before your birthday they’ll send you a coupon for a free beverage at any one of their locations. Click here to find the Caribou closest to you.
Continue reading WAF’s Five for Friday – The Free “Happy Birthday to you” Edition