Five fabulous finds we think you’ll like…
1. Going green? The Alternative Consumer provides eco news, green product reviews and useful info for those looking to cultivate a greener, healthier, more sustainable lifestyle. From fashion to food, home decor to alternate energy, if it’s green, The Alternative Consumer has it covered.
2. Three keys to achieving health and fitness goals? Tracking, tracking, tracking. Livestrong.com helps you achieve your goals by offering a library of more than 817,000 foods and 1,500 activities and the ability to track calorie intake and burn rate with a free diary. Start by entering your age, height, weight and activity level and it calculates how many calories you should eat to maintain, increase or decrease your current weight. It also lets you enter what you have eaten and calculates the nutritional value and shows you what percentage of your daily calories, fat, carbs, sugars, sodium, you’ve consumed. Thanks for the heads up Rachel!
3. Want to try a virtual makeover before committing to a real one? Ivillage’s Daily Makeover lets you upload your own photo and then choose from a variety of hairstyles, makeup and even eyewear to achieve the perfect look. It’s a fun way to help choose the perfect shades and colors that compliment your skin tone and face shape. And best of all, it’s free!
4. Memory not what it used to be? Lumosity offers a wide range of exercises and games that challenge and develop memory, speed, attention and problem solving. The scientific games have been shown to improve memory and attention and a full workout can be done in less than 10 minutes/day. There’s a premium paid membership, but even with the free membership, you’ve got access to games and exercises that will have you on your way to better brain function in no time.
5. How can you afford to take online courses from Harvard, Columbia and UCLA? It’s easy if they’re free! Academic Earth is an organization founded with the goal of giving everyone access to a world-class education. It provides access to free online video courses from some of the country’s leading universities and includes topics ranging from Physics and Law to International Studies and Astronomy.