You know how marketers jazz everything up? “Used cars” become “Previously Owned Vehicles”, free tap water gets boiled and becomes “purified” water, and Hollywood turns television repeats into “Encore Presentations”? Well welcome to Hollywood. Today’s Five for Friday is a mashup of a few of my favorite Fives – an “Encore Presentation” if you will…
1. From the Do You Edition – Personalize your pop! Personalized soda bottles are a great treat for your 40th birthday party. My Jones lets you choose from flavors like berry lemonade, green apple and vanilla bean, and then adds text and images of your choosing. A 3-pack sampler kit starts at just $3.99.
2. From The Facebook Edition – Revolution of Real Women – is a global movement advocating the empowerment of females in reclaiming their freedom of individuality, self-esteem and unique beauty. Why do we love RORW? This was a recent Facebook status “Skinny isn’t out. Curves aren’t in. One type of body isn’t more REAL than another. The ‘in’ body is the one YOU were born with.” Who can argue with that? You can follow RORW on Facebook or check out images of real women on Flickr. Update: They’ve recently re-launched their website. Check it out here.
3. From the Women Blogger’s Rock Edition – If you’re a member of the curly girl club (or your daughter is), then you’ll love Curly Niki’s natural hair site. In Niki’s words, her site was created “to inspire, educate and motivate people that wear their hair naturally–be it curly hair, kinky hair, or wavy hair.” Curly Niki provides techniques, product reviews and a vibrant online community of natural hairistas.
4. From the Free City Adventures Edition – Rome, Italy – A girl can dream can’t she? And so can you! Ok, so technically it’s not a destination in the U.S., but Rome is definitely on my bucket list. But after paying for airfare and room & board, I’ll need all the freeness I can get my happy little hands on. For starters, I think I’ll visit The Pantheon. Built in 27 B.C., it’s the oldest standing domed structure in Rome. Then I’ll take a stroll through the ruins of what was once the commercial, governmental, and religious center of ancient Rome – the Foro Romano, or the Roman Forum. A trip to Rome wouldn’t be complete without a visit to The Trevi Fountain. Inspired by Roman triumphal arches, The Trevi fountain is the largest and most famous Baroque fountain in Rome. And since tradition has it that throwing a coin into the water guarantees your return to Rome, I’m planning on throwing at least 10 in there!
5. From the Be A… Edition – Be a peacekeeper – PeaceKeeper “cause-metics” is the first cosmetics line to give all of its after-tax, distributable profits to women’s health advocacy and urgent human rights issues. Their ideals include supporting slavery free labor, fair wages and cruelty free products. Their product line includes eco-friendly nail polish remover, lip gloss and lip paint. Check out PeaceKeeper “cause”metics and don’t just look beautiful – do something beautiful too.
Have a suggestion for a future Five for Friday? Email me at contribute[at]womenatforty.com.