Five fab finds we think you’ll like…
1. If you like to give and receive unique gifts as much as I do, you’ll love Elsewares.com. At Elsewares you’ll find products from independent artists, designers and entrepreneurs that range from a NYC Subway Wallet to a fused glass belt buckle. Elsewares’ creators support individual artisans and buy from companies who respect worker rights and the environment. What’s not to love about that? (Photo: Yoami Buckle)
2. If you read last week’s Five for Friday, you know I’m a book lover, so I was nerdily excited when I came across Goodreads.com. Goodreads members recommend books, compare what they’re reading and want to read, and more. It’s the world’s largest social network for readers and it’s a book lover’s daydream come true. Goodreads is free, and anyone can join.
3. If you’re tired of buying and updating expensive software packages year after year, you might want to pay Zoho.com a visit. Zoho offers free software for online word processing, spreadsheet creation, and even remote meeting access. Most applications are free for personal use, and for business use, prices start as low as $8 per month.
4. If you love free music and discovering new music styles and artists then you’ll love MP3.com’s free music directory. From D-A-P’s Journey of Love for the techno junkies, to Willie Nelson’s Man With The Blues for the country music lovers (anyone – anyone?), MP3.com offers thousands of free – legal downloads – from some of your favorites and new indie artists. There’s also a paid download option for your favorite songs from more established artists.
5. For years now I’ve said I’m going to work on my family tree. Thanks to social networking sites and Geni.com, this year it might actually happen. Geni.com is a free, online tool for building family trees. Sign up, add your info and relatives, and those who are added can join Geni and add other relatives themselves. Connecting through Facebook makes it easier and quicker to grow your family tree and fill in the missing links. Geni is private – only the people in your family can log in to your tree, and they don’t share your information with third parties.
Send your favorite products, websites, etc. to email@example.com, and we’ll feature it in a future Five for Friday!